Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Satisfactory Struggles

I have been getting to know myself better in my 30s. I know my weaknesses as well as my strengths. I am independent, courageous, optimistic, enthusiastic, and generous. I continue to work on having more patience, thinking of others over myself, not letting my feelings control my words, and thinking things through before acting. I have come to realize my true friends/family accept all of these things and accept me for who I am, shortcomings included.

Many times we see in others the things we don't like about ourselves. Instead of working on ourselves we choose not to like a person because we don't want to face ourselves and our shortcomings. We fail to see that person's strengths as a result of focusing on the negative. How hurtful that can be.



An insincere and evil friend is more to be feared than a wild beast; a wild beast may wound your body, but an evil friend will wound your mind. -Buddha

I have never been popular and it used to harm my self esteem, but I have come to realize that sometimes my strength, courage, optimism, enthusiasm, generosity, determination, fearlessness, and independence can rub people the wrong way and I am not meant to be their friend. Maybe I remind them of who they are not or maybe I speak too much truth for a certain individual's liking. I have never been good at lying so I don't practice it. My self esteem is not defined by how many friends I have or which party I am invited to or how many likes I get on Facebook. It is defined by me. I am many things. I am worthy, I am caring, I am understanding, I am compassionate, I am passionate, and I am someone's mother. I am happy, successful, and beautiful. I am not perfect. But I am me.
 
If we get our self-esteem from superficial places, from our popularity, appearance, business success, financial situation, health, any of these, we will be disappointed, because no one can guarantee that we'll have them tomorrow. -Kathy Ireland







No comments:

Post a Comment