Thursday, September 15, 2011

Nothing Good Happens After Midnight...

Monday night, I was sleeping very soundly in the wee hours of the night around 3 a.m., when my chihuahua barked and woke my husband and me up. Our chihuahua barks at anything she hears so we told her to shut up. But then we heard a noise at our back (side) door. My husband went upstairs to check it out. Next I hear him say, "May I help you?" The voice on the other side of the door said, "I'm looking for Jason." My husband said, "There is no Jason here." The man said, "I know he's in there." He was pounding on our door very hard. I picked up my phone and called the police. My husband was not going to be nice any longer and told the man to "Get the f--k out of here." The man persisted in banging on our door. Oddly, our chihuahua did not bark the whole time this was happening.

My husband then went up to our son's room and grabbed a baseball bat and had our children come downstairs with me. I was still on the phone with police at that time. My husband yelled that he was getting his gun. The police dispatch operator asked if we had a gun and I told them no. We do not have a gun. My husband then walked out of our front door, peeked around the corner at the man at our side door to make sure he didn't have a gun, then approached him ready to swing the bat. The man covered his head and continued to insist that this Jason was in our house. My husband poked the man in his chest and told him he needed to get on down the road.

The man finally left and I peeked outside at him walking down the street. He was a pretty big black man, wearing no shirt and black shorts. The police arrived within a couple of minutes after he left. I don't know if they ever found him.

That was the scariest night I have had since I was a young teenager. I was so shook up I couldn't get back to sleep until 5 a.m., and I get up at 6:30. My daughter was so scared she slept downstairs with us the rest of that night and the next night too. I continued to feel on edge all day at work the next day and still feel violated.

Thank God he didn't get into our house. I can't imagine the trauma it would have done to our family if he had. Thank God for my husband and his courage to protect his family and our home. This incident was a reminder to me that life is short and to enjoy each day and live life to the fullest.

I also told my chihuahua she was a good guard dog, and when she barks in the wee hours of the night, I will think twice before telling her to shut up.