Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Making the Switch

I made what was for me a major decision last week.  I decided to become vegetarian.  To be more specific I am aiming for ovo-lacto vegetarian because I feel like I can't say no to eggs and cheese (I could go without milk though), at least at this point.  Also I feel baby steps make it easier to make change permanent.  I decided to make this change for many different reasons including health, animal welfare, weight, environment, and money.  There are more reasons but overall I just feel it is the right thing to do.

I did eat a few bites of chicken last Tuesday but since then I have had no beef, pork or chicken.  I ate shrimp over the weekend since my husband and I went to Red Lobster for date night.  I could go pescatarian, but I do eventually want to ease out of eating fish as well.

My family isn't changing their diet with me, nor would I force them to do such a thing.  I actually think it will bring more quality family time to meal preparation.  I try to make meals for the week on Sunday, and this past Sunday my husband and I spent about an hour in the kitchen making 3 meals, 2 of those meals having vegetarian and non-veg variations.  He made sloppy joes and I made lentil soup (which was very tasty!).  We made chili, regular in a large crock pot and veg in a small crock pot.  The veg version of this was also very tasty, even my husband said so, and he is a meat and potatoes kind of guy.  We made ham/bean soup and before I put the ham in, I took some of the beans out to use in a concoction I haven't named yet.  It had 15 different kinds of beans, vegetable broth, veggies, and quinoa.  It turned out okay, but needed something.  I will get good at this with practice.

I have already had the question, "How are you going to get your protein?"  This question surprisingly came from a nurse.  I have done my reading, and I know I can replace protein if I am eating the right foods and food combinations.  I also know a bigger concern than protein is iron so I am making sure I am eating enough foods containing iron as well.  I informed the nurse that I will eat beans and other high protein foods to make sure I get what my body needs.  I am not being stupid about this.

I have already noticed a boost in my energy level and I can't wait to see the additional effects as my body accepts this change.  I also am excited to see results through weight loss.  I would appreciate advice, delicious recipes, and any other information that would be helpful and supportive of my lifestyle change.

1 comment:

  1. I have been pushing and pushing toward vegetarianism for quite a while now, too, and I love it. I give in once in a while, but it gets easier every day. I hope you love it as much as I do! We'll have to swap recipes some time.

    I just got the BEST vegetarian cookbook: The Happy Herbivore. Simple recipes, and I've loved every one I've tried so far.

    ReplyDelete