Thursday, August 26, 2010

Imagination Running Wild

I was an imaginative child but somehow I lost the wildness of my imagination in adulthood.  Don't get me wrong, I still have an imagination, just not as vivid.  I think that's because I am meant to be the "grown up one" in my marriage to my very childlike husband.  He is the one who is best at getting on the floor and playing with the kids or watching cartoons with them on a Saturday morning.  I am the one who likes to observe.

I thought I would LOVE playing Barbie with my daughter.  I dreamt of that when I was a child.  But now that time it is here, and I don't really know how to "play" anymore.  It feels awkward.  I just like to watch my daughter play and how her imagination works.

My daughter has a very vivid imagination.  She will play for hours and carry on conversations with her toys or imaginary friends where I have no clue what she is talking about but it is fun and a lot of times funny to just sit and listen to the carefree way she plays.

Maybe that's what it is, I am not carefree anymore.  I have so much on my mind with my family life, job, derby, and friends that I just don't have room anymore for much imagination.  Maybe if life weren't so complicated adults would hang on to their imaginations into old age.  It would be funny to see adults playing hopscotch or go down the slides at the park, but just maybe it would make for a world filled with more love and forgiveness rather than hate and entitlement.  Sort of a release for all our emotions, which is why I think children have the gift of imagination, so they can release emotions that they just don't know what to do with.  So I say play whenever you get the chance and you just might be happier.  :)

2 comments:

  1. You and I had a conversation about this. It's quite sad the enthusiasm we have for participating in their play. Max always wants to battle Bakugans. So boring and you have to say things a certain way and blah blah....I don't know. I don't watch the show. I try and get him outside doing something active since I want the exercise but he isn't all about it. I recently watched an episode of Supernanny where she said it's important to show excitement and keep the energy high. Well, I do my best. That's about all we can do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that we need to play whenever we can. We all have so many demands in our lives that sometimes begin at such a young age. I have discovered that I love to dance. Part of this is that the people I am around when I dance have such positive energy. They like to laugh. It makes me feel happy and alive. This is sometimes so hard as an adult. Too bad we can keep more of the child alive! I will keep working on it!

    ReplyDelete