Monday, January 17, 2011

Ignorant Misconceptions

Saturday night I went to a sporting event at the Qwest Center in Omaha to promote Omaha Rollergirls.  For the most part we got positive feedback with people walking up to us asking questions, asking for schedules, and saying they were fans.  We did, however, get some negative feedback which of course, stood out to me.  It made me a little angry.

What makes me angry is how ignorant people are when they place judgement on something they know next to nothing about.  I noticed my "boutfit" got some OMG looks and I even got an audible "eww."  Really??  But cheerleading outfits are okay and people let their kids watch Dancing With the Stars with their racy costumes.  That's what I call hypocritical!

Roller derby is not the same sport people remember from the 70s.  It is a legitimate sport with national rankings by WFTDA (Women's Flat Track Derby Association).  Women who play this sport do it because they love it.  They also PAY to play.  We do NOT get paid.  We practice several times a week and work out outside of practice time as well to stay conditioned so we can be at the top of our game.  We aren't making trouble.  In fact we help many local charities and help out in our community.  We work hard!

If I didn't work hard, I wouldn't look so great in my boutfit!  Ha.  I am in the best shape of my life.  My self-esteem is the highest it has ever been.  I am happier and more fulfilled in my life than ever.  I am doing something meaningful for me. 

Don't judge a book by it's cover.  You will surely be wrong, and therefore IGNORANT.  Or as I like to call it "ignoranus," a cross between an ignoramus and an asshole.

Go see a bout (game) and then you can say whatever you want.  I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment