Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Carbon Footprints

My family's carbon footprint is approximately 222.54 metric tons of CO2 per year.  A VERY LARGE majority of that comes from our auto usage.

You can easily find out your own household's carbon footprint by googling carbon footprint calculator.  The sites you go to also list ways you can reduce your carbon footprint.

In my opinion there is not much I can do unless my whole family starts riding our bikes everywhere.  I would have a hard time biking to work now that I work at 9 a.m. and my kids can't go to school any earlier than 8:30.  It takes me 25 minutes to bike from their school to my work and if I didn't care what my hair looked like for work I wouldn't worry but I have to wear a bike helmet for safety and my hair just doesn't look good after it comes out of the helmet.  Everyone has their excuses, myself included.

Since I have so many excuses for using my car(s), I have to try to reduce my carbon footprint where I can.  I recycle but I should start doing compost.  I turn off lights and don't turn on my heat/air until absolutely necessary and keep it at a temperature that makes it more efficient.  I have started replacing all bulbs with the energy efficient ones.  There are many other things I can be doing, what can you be doing?

No comments:

Post a Comment