Wednesday, September 15, 2010

A Good Read

I read "The Shack" by William Young over the weekend when I wasn't busy playing roller derby.  What a great book!  The author had a way of expressing beliefs that didn't get religious at all and made it all so simple while telling an awesome story of love and forgiveness.  I don't call myself religious but I do believe in God and Jesus.  I believe we should love each other and forgive the things we don't like about other people. 

This book told about how humans like to have control and independence which is why we try to follow rules and judge each other.  The book went on to explain that if we forget about the rules and judgement and just let Jesus live in our heart and learn to serve people, in other words not thinking of ourselves and just loving others, we will have true peace.

I know the peace the book speaks of.  I haven't always known it because I haven't always believed in God.  I made the choice to believe in Jesus and let him into my heart and ever since I have felt a peace no matter what else is happening in my life.  I have learned that living for someone other than myself really does help me feel good about myself and my life.  I am not afraid of any problems coming my way because this world is not what I am living for and I can just let the problems go to God.  I also have experienced the power of prayer.  Believe it or not but no one can convince me otherwise.  My dad is all the proof I need.  He is here today because many people were praying for him and he received a new heart the very next day after I prayed about it unselfishly with my daughter.  I asked God to give my dad a heart that was filled with His love so that my dad would be filled with His love.  I did not ask God to give him a heart so I could have my dad longer.  I just want my dad to know the peace that I know.

Back to the book, I cannot express all the awe I experienced while reading it.  I really think you should read it for yourself, even if you don't believe in God.  It is a great story regardless of your beliefs.  It will captivate your heart, mind, and soul unexpectedly I am sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment