Friday, September 24, 2010

Young Children and Haunted Houses

How old do you think a child has to be to go to a haunted house?  I think when my daughter was 4 she was too young because she was very sensitive and easily scared at that age.  My son on the other hand, went to a haunted house for the first time when he was about 3.  He did very well and was only a little scared.  He wanted to go of course.  I also explained to him that it was scary and not real and the people wear costumes, yada yada.

Today I found a Groupon deal to get 2 tickets for $10 at Shadow's Edge which is half off.  So I asked my daughter if she wants to go to a haunted house this year.  She will be 6 next weekend.  She said she wanted to go and that she knows it will be scary but she still wants to go.  So I bought 4 tickets for $20.  Am I asking for trouble?  I don't know.  My daughter is very adamant when she wants to be and if she is scared and ends up not going through, I guess I will have to deal with that when we get there.  Only I hope she doesn't chicken out because I want to go through and if she did chicken out I would be the one to stay outside with her.

I suppose it all depends on the child and their personality more than the age, although I think any child younger than 3 IS too young to understand that it is not real and could really freak out a bit.  It could do way more harm than good for kids younger than 2 for sure.  This is definitely not something a parent should do on the spur of the moment.  A lot of thought should go into this decision.

Tell me what age you think is appropriate to take a child to a haunted house and also tell me which ones are your favorite haunted houses to go to.

1 comment:

  1. I took Ella to a Shadow's Edge two years ago after she insisted she could handle it and wanted to go so badly. After 1.5 hours of waiting in line, we had to take the first chicken exit outta that place. She thinks she can handle a lot, but she's kind of a wus when it comes down to it, so just our personal experience. She understood none of it was real, but it was just too damn scary for her at 8 yrs old.

    ReplyDelete