Friday, September 24, 2010

Young Children and Haunted Houses

How old do you think a child has to be to go to a haunted house?  I think when my daughter was 4 she was too young because she was very sensitive and easily scared at that age.  My son on the other hand, went to a haunted house for the first time when he was about 3.  He did very well and was only a little scared.  He wanted to go of course.  I also explained to him that it was scary and not real and the people wear costumes, yada yada.

Today I found a Groupon deal to get 2 tickets for $10 at Shadow's Edge which is half off.  So I asked my daughter if she wants to go to a haunted house this year.  She will be 6 next weekend.  She said she wanted to go and that she knows it will be scary but she still wants to go.  So I bought 4 tickets for $20.  Am I asking for trouble?  I don't know.  My daughter is very adamant when she wants to be and if she is scared and ends up not going through, I guess I will have to deal with that when we get there.  Only I hope she doesn't chicken out because I want to go through and if she did chicken out I would be the one to stay outside with her.

I suppose it all depends on the child and their personality more than the age, although I think any child younger than 3 IS too young to understand that it is not real and could really freak out a bit.  It could do way more harm than good for kids younger than 2 for sure.  This is definitely not something a parent should do on the spur of the moment.  A lot of thought should go into this decision.

Tell me what age you think is appropriate to take a child to a haunted house and also tell me which ones are your favorite haunted houses to go to.